Thursday, January 1, 2015

Penguins and Paper Piecing

I think it's happened. 

I think that I have gone from "crafting for fun" to "crafting obsessed".  LOL!

I was lying in bed the other night, and I realized that I had the PERFECT paper to go with this super sweet penguin from SugarPea Designs.
So, now I can't sleep because I am creating this card in my head.  AND, the torture continued when I couldn't find time to sit and color him until 48 hours later!!!  Aargh!

The fabulous Wendy from SPD introduced me to this wonderful technique called "paper piecing".  That would be when you stamp a portion of your image onto a printed paper, and then cut and paste it.  I did this with Penguin's bandana and belt.  Little fish print!  Is that not the CUTEST? 
I love this technique!  It adds character and dimension to your image!  (And I think it gives the impression that you are ultra crafty!  Which at times, I am NOT!)

I was just talking with a friend about the woes of wanting to be crafty.  I love to color, and find it rather easy.  She does not.  She loves to do the layout of the card and finds it rather easy.  I do NOT.  I put this immense pressure on myself to find just the right paper and position.  As it is with this little guy, I LOVE how he turned out, but am not in love with his card. 

I am thinking I will always put that pressure on myself, but maybe it will get easier if I am consistently making cards.

If you read this and have any suggestions or thoughts on my layouts, I would LOVE to hear them.  I am not a frilly fru-fru type.  No lace or flowers for me please.  I like simple, but I like it to have character.  Make sense?
 
For my little penguin friend, I used the following:
Rice Rice Baby from SPD
Card Stock I used: Limeade Ice and Orange Zest from Paper Trey Ink
Down By The Shore (Can you tell I REALLY like this paper pad right now?) from Fancy Pants Designs
Four Point Frame die from MFT
Well Worn Greetings die from MFT
Flower Medley die from MFT



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words!

XOXO
Dina